Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sixteen Layers at the Think Tank

Sixteen Layers

The Think Tank

6/11/09

Angela Macari O’Looney

Take a pinch of Queens of the Stoneage, a soupcon of U2 meets Radiohead and add a slice of Zeppelin. Simmer for an hour. Once you taste, you’ll be back for more!

This is how I felt on hearing this vibrant quartet, who are home from a successful tour in Toronto, Canada.

Sixteen Layers, fronted by Niall Donnelly-Vocals and rhythm guitar are a band full to the brim with energy and confidence. Don Muldoon on lead guitar and John Colbert Bass/Vox/Lead ooze genius with well blended chords and riffs. Last but not least is the rhythm behind the sound and is performed by Drummer percussionist Tim McGrath.

Having heard their music on CD I couldn’t resist a chance to see their live show. So off I headed to the Think Tank, where they were doing a late gig.

When I arrived in the cosy basement venue a fair sized crowd was building up. Without too much delay, Niall and the lads began with Torch, a dramatic number with a memorable melody line.
From the get go they were alive and kicking. Impressed by the wonderful explosive guitar riffs, powerful baseline plus fluent lead vocals I pushed my way up to the front, despite knowing that my ears would suffer later on from my proximity to the speakers.

Into the Sun with its bassy intro was next. This has a delightful riff throughout and harmonic oohs for the chorus. The songs were even better live than on CD. I could feel adrenaline pumping through me as I listened to this number, which is on their single ‘Exile/Into the Sun’.

For the third number Hurt Me Niall had some help from the audience for the chorus. Trickling guitar takes you to a sweet moody verse for this soulful piece.
I adore the way the instruments pull back, leaving him to sing the last verse with only a baseline behind him. Then the whole band come back, bursting into a loud crescendo for the last chorus.

Eight Miles Down, one of my favourite songs was next. This is a dramatic number that builds up in dynamics. Superb harmony, trickling riffs going on throughout and Don performing a short but sweet solo, it’s a feel good song.

No Strings involves a catchy chorus which everyone sang with Niall. The atmosphere was electric as he and Don shared a guitar solo, facing each other down.

The theme song from their album I am no one was next. A delectable choppy intro was tapped out by Tim McGrath. Then distortion packed guitars took over. A key change for the chorus in this song lifts the mood and adds interest. Screaming lead is exciting as Don gives it loads.

Don changed guitars for the next song Exile. When I saw his Fender I knew we were in for a treat. Niall sang this lovely slower song, with bass notes accompanying him. His vocal ability is well demonstrated here as he goes from a low to a higher octave.
He has a way of performing slow, mournful songs very similar to singer/songwriter Mick Flannery, using such emotion he draws you in. I wasn’t wrong about the fender as Don laid into an elaborate, show stopping solo and harmony in the chorus created a full and magical sound.

For Over and Out I noticed how the lighting flashed in sync with the beat. I liked this. And I particularly enjoyed Don’s lead solo in Trouble Spot, which is my favourite of all of their songs. Here he really played to the Gallery with a riveting solo.

Setting Fires has a choppy rock beat. They did yet another song I like called Former You.
Sit awhile is a slow love song in which Niall sings like he’s serenading each female in the place. It has a gorgeous melody and sweet lead guitar in it.

Encores were called and the lads obliged. They performed two songs; Set Alight and Another Story. Both of these songs were excellent and all the stops were pulled out.

My ears were throbbing a little when I got home, but I was still grinning from ear to ear. Those songs are addictive and the guys are loaded with talent. I felt a sense of elation and I will definitely be watching their star rise, which it will!

No comments:

Post a Comment