Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A great night's entertainment

On Sunday evening November 15th, I and my Mum went to see a concert starring The C.I.E. Male voice Choir. My friend Joe is a member of this longstanding and interesting act.It involves a lot of rehearsing and enormous commitment, since they get quite a lot of work.
I'm not surprised they are so popular, having heard the beautiful blend of harmonies and clever arrangements that create their sound.
Each year a concert is put on in Liberty Hall, Dublin with lots of guests joining the show. This year the show included Noel V Ginnity, a hilarious comedian who dresses a bit like a leprochaun and is the right size for his choice of costume. This guy can somehow manage to be really funny and entertaining, without being in any way offensive. I'd call him a classy comedy act.

Compare that night was Brian Hoey, a veteran of music and theatre and a really excellent MC. He performed a show stopping version of O Sole Mio. He did a fun number where people joined in; Are you right there Michael. This man has one of the nicest male voices I've ever heard.My mother mentioned that she saw him star in the opera Aida once.

Also on that night were a Soul band called Mr. Average. I enjoyed some but not all of their set. They would be a great band to see in a different type of setting. Eimear Carbone a gorgeous soprano singer participated in a lot of the numbers which the choir performed, but also sang a lovely song alone. It was an old Irish song about 'A dear little girl with a bit of a brogue'. It got some of the oder members of the audience singing along.

Accompanists for the show were Linda Costelloe and Geraldine McGann. Also on that night was another member of the McGann clann,Judy. This pretty blonde singer did a delightful set, which finished with a favourite song of mine Hallelujia which was in the charts last year. She later joined the choir for the finale.

A great act too was Folk/Ballad band Abhainn Dubh, which I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed. This act is made up of two really nice lads, one playing mandolin and the other on guitar who knew exactly the right songs to sing to liven the place up. Everyone sang with them and they got the second half of the show off to a brilliant start.

UK Instrummentalist Peadar Long performed a set on his saxophone and was joined later by Eimear for The fields of Athenry. This was a lovely rendition of the sorrowful ballad.

Boy soprano Dylan Caffrey performed the Christmas song Oh Holy Night. He did the verse and was joined for the chorus by Eimear and the choir.

I have heard the choir on occasion, but have never seen them do a full concert before. This was my first attendance to one of their gigs, but I promise it won't be my last!

With the wonderful musical director Ernie Long at the helm, they performed some absolute dynamite songs such as Rhythm of Life, Softly, Stout hearted Men and one or two lovely Christms pieces. They did a number which was composed by the MD about the baby Jesus, where the audience had to sing a refrain after each verse. This was a really appealing song. Looking accross the rows of ex-busmen and inspectors, it was nice seeing one or two familiar faces, most now retired.

Being a driver in Donnybrook garage, I of course knew almost all of these guys to see. I felt quite emotional when they took to the stage for the finale, to sing my all time favourite Abba song, Thank you for the music. The rest of the performers were all present for this. The final song of the evening was Somewhere over the rainbow, from the Wizard of Oz.

Describing this choir isn't easy. With close and precise harmonies, they are almost like a human orchestra. I also get the feeling while observing them, that they are a little like a family too. The overall impact is full and is a delight, but you can also appreciate as you watch them, that each link in the chain is vital, each voice trained to memorise it's own unique contribution.
As I and my Mum left, I met a few of the lads in the foyer of Liberty Hall. All were in great form and the atmosphere about was cheerful.
Always busy, the choir have built up a widespread reputation and long may their uplifting contribution to the Irish music world continue.
Angela Macari O'Looney

No comments:

Post a Comment