Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Jaded Sun and Latitude

Jaded Sun and Latitude

The Village


09/10/09

Recently I reviewed rock band Latitude out in The Bloody Stream in Howth. They were quite new to me then, but I was blown away with their sound. In the small venue they were a little cramped, but proved to be a talented bunch of young musicians, headed by Ian O’Reilly who has a distinctive rock voice and a personality that is ideal for a front man. They reminded me of Jaded Sun, whom I’ve reviewed a few times.

When I said this to Drummer Mick Verling, he was delighted and mentioned a gig coming up soon, where they’d be playing support to none other than Jaded Sun. What a coincidence!
I marked October 9th on my calendar, because I just knew this was going to be a special night and I wasn’t wrong.

Latitude

A young band with five members; Ian O’Reilly-Vocals, Chris McDonnell- Guitars, Danny McAleese- Guitars, Philip Doyle- Bass and Mick Verling- Drums, Latitude have built up a large fan base and have a unique quality. They have the look and perform their own numbers which are a mix of classic Rock, tinged with more modern aspects. They also throw in the odd cover, but do it justice.

Opening the show they did a fab set which included Highs and Lows, Bloody Mary, Get Back(Beatles Cover), Blackout, Lifeline and Tigers. I particularly enjoyed their version of Get Back and admired the full sound they achieved for their set and in particular, the fab in sync riffs Danny and Chris performed.
In this big venue with the right lighting and sound, the lads were excellent. Bassist Phil got to shine with lots of riveting baselines. Guitarists played out of their skins and in general Latitude came across very well.
Sadly it was announced that this was the last performance these guys would be doing as a band, since some were moving on to other things. I was sorry to hear this, because I’ve become very fond of them. But I believe this won’t be the last we’ll hear from each of these excellent musicians and of course Mr. Personality himself, singer Ian.


Jaded Sun

The increasing audience moved closer to the stage for the main event. A barefoot John Maher and his crew took to the stage, launching into the intro for Breaking through, an explosive number involving excellent riffs and hooks. This tends to always open up the show at Jaded Sun gigs and is a great choice.

Lots of songs from Gypsy Trip their debut album were included in the set. These numbers I know word for word and riff for riff since this dynamic medley of songs is a permanent fixture in my car stereo.

Crazyman and Can’t Stop followed. Then they did one that I’m not familiar with called Sweet Mary. This was refreshing and had a memorable chorus.

Sean Gosker performed his show stopping solos throughout each and every number and he and Eorrann Stafford on 2nd guitar performed perfectly synchronized twin guitar breaks in some. They compliment each other’s styles with contrasting riffs that enrich the overall sound.
Damien Kelly on bass is probably the finest there is and also performs harmony behind John Maher for most of the set. Of course Gavin on drums manages to provide the essential backdrop, whether it’s for a sleazy seductive number like Hey You! or for fast moving, lively pieces like Higher.

Crave is a wonderfully soulful number with a sweet guitar intro and the mood was amazing as you could hear the crowd singing it with John. He’s a brilliant showman and like each member of Jaded, ups his game for every gig. He can be passionate in a song like this, or can jump into the air with the agility of an athlete for the more upbeat songs. They continued with Sting me (Black Crowes). I’m not familiar with this song but enjoyed this version.

A couple of newer songs were included in the show. All included some sensational solos. Fire and Breakdown Easy each involved memorable melody lines and the unique Jaded Sun stamp. These are from the new EP which was recently recorded in Paris. I like them but I’d have to hear them a few times to really judge if they are as special as the outstanding pieces on their debut album.

They also did Running down a Dream (Tom Petty cover). Gosker came up to the front and indulged us with an intricate piece of lead that would make any guitar aficionado drool!
Also I noticed some interesting key changes in a couple of the newer numbers. These were very effective indeed!

Fever A guitar plays a trickling riff, baseline ever present taking you into this really involved rock song. Then some screaming, sliding notes are played that would make your hair stand on end. It goes from a sleazy verse, changing pace throughout from dramatic faster bits to slow down, becoming more passionate. Then it speeds up again as John’s powerful voice belts out the chorus I don’t want your pity, don’t need your lovin’, don’t want your money. This song is something of a rhapsody and towards the end one of my favourite guitar solos is performed and finally, in comes that big rolling drum finish to build up to the big stop!

She’s got Class A Cajun riff intro, strut style beat and dizzying guitar behind the chorus, plus Damien and the other guys providing close harmony made this number extra special!

I had been shouting up to John to do one of my favourites, Positive all night. And just as I was about to run to the ladies, he announced he was going to do it for me. Back I went and there was a big cheer as I decided to hold on in order not to miss it.
I’m glad I didn’t. I love this head banging, classic rock song with a fab riff and a sing along quality that is so irresistible. I must add that once again, the three guitarists excelled beyond all expectations here.

The guys went off but the usual shouts of ‘One more song’ forced them to do two extra songs; Whiskey drinker and the piece de resistance Thunderstruck (AC/DC)!

The reaction from the audience spoke for itself as Sean Gosker executed the tricky intro to perfection, fingers flying across the frets of his guitar. Total mayhem as everyone shouted ‘Thunder’ with John, punching the air or playing their air guitars. Note for note they performed the number, big bashing riffs and all, which isn’t an easy task although Brian Johnson and Angus Young would have been proud listening.

In a nutshell this has to have been the most exciting gig I’ve been to for some time. Jaded Sun extended themselves and sent their audience home with the memory of a lifetime.
They only hit Dublin occasionally because of their busy touring schedule, but each time they return, you can hear how they hone and refine their music, reminding us they are simply the best in the business!

Angela Macari O’Looney

No comments:

Post a Comment