Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Crawdaddy 10/10/09

Grades of Shade

OK 4 U Album launch,

Crawdaddy 10/10/09


Angela Macari O’Looney

Experimental outfit Grades of Shade celebrated the launch of their new album O.K. 4 U in one of my favourite haunts on Saturday October 10th. A week or two before this, it was suggested to me to give them a listen on My Space.

I was impressed with their sound, despite the fact that I’m not a big fan of anything involving rap and sometimes find electronic music monotonous. I expected to tire of this band after a couple of songs, but instead was dancing around my kitchen as I listened to Hazel’s exciting vocals, which blend excellently with JMC (rapper extraordinaire), who has real charisma. This band’s music has been described as a cross between Massive Attack and Groove Armada.
I decided then and there that I was going to see them and experience this new and sensational act live. Hazel Peters – Vox, JMC – MC/ Percussion, Paul Maguire – Guitars/Backing Vox, Robbie Stanley – Electronic Bass/Microkorg and Eugene Somers – Programming/Drums/Percussion are the team behind the sound and they gave me a warm welcome as I arrived and introduced myself. I made sure to explain that I am not usually into the style of music they do, but added that they definitely have touched a nerve and I’m slowly becoming addicted.
After my meeting with these friendly people, I headed into the gig venue to hear the two support acts.

Stewart Kenny

Stewart provided us with a pleasant acoustic set, accompanied by a female guitarist. He started his short programme, which included songs from his album I’ve fallen so far.

The Prom Queen – With his crisp voice, Stewart sang this upbeat song with its catchy melody line and a nice keychange for the last chorus.

He continued with Seize the moment. This has great chords, lyrics and involves lovely bits of guitar throughout.

Thousand Miles has close harmony and the intricate guitar played here by his companion was impressive.

He did Over the Edge, Strange, plus another song called The Blood on the Wall’s still wet , finishing with Midnight Sun. Robbie and Eugene joined in with bass and drums for the last two songs and you could definitely hear the difference, with the full sound which brought things to life!

Tiny Magnetic Pets

With a very attractive front woman in Paula Gilmer, this act performed a cheerful dance set. I wasn’t here reminds me a little of the style of O.M.D. , a band I danced to years ago.
Described as Live Electronics/Ambient/Electro acoustic, this music involves lots of space age sound effects. Sean Quinn is behind all of this on E Piano, Melotron, Guitar and Pre set drums. James is the acoustic drummer.

Paula’s vocals have an angelic quality, but become more dynamic for the chorus of a song. The combination of this and the throbbing electronic sound is interesting and you can’t help but move to it. She also has a nice personality and interacted with the audience well.

Love is a Stranger – I like the bassy sound that continues throughout this cover. I particularly enjoyed the chorus and it got a very positive response from the growing audience.

Girl in a White Dress – This song was by far my favourite from this band. At times I felt that there’s a resemblance in Paula to Debbie Harry, although she has a softer sound. This band has a way of maintaining simplicity where melodies are concerned. I like this soothing style. I truly enjoyed all of their set and by now was really looking forward to the stars of the show.

Grades of Shade

Opening with Hot from O.K. 4 U, Hazel and the gang arrived onstage. Males and females alike in the audience connected with this gorgeous lady, leather clad with tumbling tresses of mahogany hair and a voice that seems to have an unequivocal range. Behind her, the band were alive from the get go, lots of exciting electronic stuff going on, a great beat from Eugene with plenty of drum rolls and JMC throwing in his short narrative. Soulful and seductive, this was a fab choice to get the party started!

Dirty – This has a rhythmic intro, a sexy baseline and a choppy beat and as Hazel sings the verse, lots of dirty distortion packed riffs from Paul and bass a la Robbie help create the mood. They have a big sound and as Hazel does her sexy moves the crowd go wild.

Reality – This riveting piece of music is for me, one of their best. Lots of distortion packed guitar, lively percussion and beats, not forgetting the wonderful sounds created by JMC, adding to this sleazy but haunting number. Bongos are played by Gary O’Brien, Republic of Loose percussionist who performs live with GOS for this type of song.
This song was recorded as a double A sided single with another song – Ejector seat.

Impossible is nothing

JMC leads this number, which has wistful lyrics. Lots of plucked rhythmic notes and super chords are played on guitar with a divine baseline, there’s a choppy beat and Hazel comes in for the chorus. I love this and the lyrics are great Take it to the limits, in any f..ng weather and only rip it up if you can stick it back together. It goes on in this philosophical vein and I must admit, I became a convert to rap watching the two perform this so well!

Hazel talked to the audience, thanking them for coming to the gig when most people were glued to the Ireland v Italy match. Producer Cormac Moore gave updates as the night was progressing. I found myself admiring the plethora of fancy guitars lined up for both Paul and Robbie, ready for action.

Sore – This begins with a lone baseline, Hazel coming in with the verse. The beat alternates in the chorus each time she sings ‘Sore’. This I love!
Middle eight is sung and is funky and appealing.

Some very effective sampling is used for certain numbers and I particularly enjoyed the intro in the next song which was It’s over.
This is a sad love song, sung with a lot of emotion by Hazel, beautiful trickling guitar in the background and wonderful sound effects throughout.

Come home begins slow but builds up. A catchy riff is continuously played throughout, with sampling very effective. The melody line is sweet and some pretty harmony is included too.

Grades of Shade did a lengthy set, which included most of their songs from the fab new album. Tizwas, Ejector Seat, Higher and GOSOK4U all included hair raising electro stuff, promo lyrics you can forgive when sung by Hazel’s powerful dynamic voice, plenty of audience participation for the words ‘Grades of Shade O.K. 4 U’ and what I also noticed was the way that each musician seemed to be really lost in the music and enjoying himself.

They of course got an encore and did three pieces. One was JMC performing alone, with Bongos played by two people accompanying him. He had this shaker percussion instrument for the short, sweet rap.

Then they did a slow number called Live on air with lots going on in it, really catchy harmony and during this Hazel introduced each band member.

Bleed was the finale for this show which I enjoyed from start to finish. JM, Hazel and the guitarists danced around for this song, which has a feel good quality to it. Bass was delicious and the crazy sound effects were delightful. It has a cool dance beat and everyone hopped around enjoying the ambience.

Hazel and Eugene both thanked all for their support, in particular Cormac Moore, who was previously involved with hit band Republic of Loose and discovered GOS, investing his energy into getting them off the ground. His faith is being rewarded big time, in my opinion because in such a competitive music industry, it requires something more than just sheer determination and skill. There has to be a magic, a spark that is there or isn’t. Like the cover art of the new album, this band are colourful, harmonious and vivacious and will continue to gain new supporters like me with their easy –to- listen- to sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment