Sunday, April 15, 2012

Knots EP Review

Knots Now on the Stage

Angela Macari O’Looney

Released in March, this EP is a taste of the explosive sound from Knots. Big anthemic choruses blasted out, superb guitar riffs plus well thought out lyrics and melody lines, are what I hear from start to finish!

The lead singer has a vocal style that’s perfect for each number; dramatic for Shy which is a vibrant love song, with delectable piano and amazing chords, or alternating from soft vocals to powerhouse on Waiting Still. I like the rhythm in this particular song and distortion packed riffs throughout. Backing vocals lend to the crescendo for the last chorus. Dynamic changes in this song too, from laid back right up to an energetic and intoxicating rush of volume!

This band remind me of Choice Music Award finalists CODES, with their bashing chords, memorable melodies and exciting build ups to fab choruses.

They do a disco style guitar intro for Falling, moving to a fast beat. I find the melody here almost creates the impression of somebody falling. Chord combos are wonderful and the Guitar solo is sweet, following on with excellent riffs for the memorable chorus.

Home is a soothing number, with acoustic guitar chords for the verse. Piano comes in gradually, as things develop. And I feel like letting go, and I feel like letting you know that I want it, I need it, I said that I’d be there to show you the way back home. This is sung with passion and the guitar chords are vibrant to match the eager sentiment in the lyrics.

Knots are Dublin based and formed in January 2012. Taking influences from acts such as Pearl Jam, U2 and Jeff Buckley, they have created their own hybrid of Indie/Alt/Rock and it works well. Members are Botham – Vocals/Guitar, Eddie – Drums and Ciaran – Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment