Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Taking a break

I can never actually say I'm taking a break. I never do!
However, certain things in my life simply have to take priority over all else. One such thing would be my son and his affairs i.e Health, Education, Hobbies and Sports activities.
When you have a six year old, they need their Ma to be at most of the important moments. It might be his/her football match/Dancing competition, or perhaps a tooth cavity that requires attention. Whatever the case, we Mums are the only company that will do!
Over the past few weeks, I seem to have been unbelievably pre-occupied with Football, dentists, doctors and my son's little extra bits and pieces. Also, I decided to give extra time to any seriously outstanding housework, decorating and whatnot.
Another important distraction from my usual activities, was the Pitch and Putt weekend that has become an annual favorite of mine. It involves my job P & P Club.
For about fifteen years or so, I have partaken in this wonderful and satisfying game. I've met some great characters, played some amazing P & P games and tried a variety of courses.
I somehow believed that the health benefits and fun were all that I needed to feel that my committment to the sport was paying off.
It wasn't until I won my first twenty five euro, that I realised it could be a bit more attractive.
Well, this year on my club outing to Killarney, I found out that the rainy moments, rotten score cards, narky opposition and personal struggles with getting it right could actually pay off big time!
Without understanding exactly what it was I was doing right, I took home the most superior trophy available in my club. We went to Killarney for three days, two nights and it involved three different games.
I have lots of memories of weekends there, all happy. But I will never forget the warm, wonderful feeling that receiving the BIG one gave me.
It's a silver cup, with names of previous club winners engraved on it.
It's quite tall, almost two foot high.
I can honestly say, I don't believe myself to be a brilliant golfer. I do, however know, that patience pays off. I held the highest handicap my club gives in all the years I've played, because I am not very competitive.

I love fresh air, excercise, a chat and a cold drink to celebrate a good match. Winning? If it comes my way, it's nice.
What went right for me that day was that I played against a superior player, who had a hangover and just requested silence throughout the game. Anyone who knows me knows I can't stop talking. But in this case, I held my tongue, pitched my ball with gusto and marvelled in my surroundings. Killarney's mountain views and the beautiful Gleneagles grounds, including the P&P course are splendid.
My companion shook my hand at the end of the match and even though the rest of the club were comparing their scores light heartedly, he whispered that I had the best score by far.
It wasn't till I sat at home, regarding this lovely relic of our club, when it sunk in. I was the winner, for one of the very first times in my life.
I'm sure I won things before. Plaques for ballroom dancing, medals for Irish dancing, even tallent competitions. But this was a precious and unforgettable experience.
So this has been one of my pre occupations in the last couple of weeks, along with some other necessary committments. Not excuses!
Life and it's variations can sometimes take over and tell you, "Time for a break baby"!

No comments:

Post a Comment