Saturday, April 16, 2011

An unforgettable gig!

The View

Bread and Circuses tour

Academy, Dublin


13/04/’11

At almost six euro a pop, I’m surprised that punters chose to fling their beer around the place during what otherwise turned out to be a really fun and successful night. It was crazy, the place was jammers, but Kyle and his crew played all the best songs from the band’s lively and appealing repertoire!

From Dryburgh, Dundee, The View are one of my favourite bands and even though they are mainly a younger person’s act, they won me over a few years ago when I first heard their debut album Hats off to the Buskers.

Since then, I often play their music on my mp3 or car stereo. My husband has taken to them big time. He considers himself a post punk rocker that got sucked into conforming in order to survive and fit into the more conservative world of Clerical work, an occasional pint in his local or in town, or watching sports on TV.

Me? I enjoy most music genres, but am inclined to return to what is memorable and sing- able. We arrived during the first warm-up band’s performance. The Mighty Stef were upbeat and played very catchy numbers. The front man was a big guy with a fantastic voice. He and the bass guitarist did some high jinx with their guitars, pretending to spar with their instruments. I was impressed with what I heard from their set.

Sound of Guns were the second band. These only performed four or five numbers, but were equally impressive. They had a lot of equipment with them, including a string of bright fairy lights that added to the moment while they were on. They also had a fake skull that sat on one of their amps throughout their set. It looked like some kind of mascot. I have to say, I thought they were brilliant and plan to have a closer listen in the privacy of my living room. Their new E.P. is free to download on facebook and is called Breakwater.

The stars of the show came out after a short interval to a tumultuous reception, launching into Grace from the new Bread and Circuses album. This is one of my favourites, with its catchy chorus and cynical lyrics. Excitement and party spirit was tangible as people pogoed about and sang out the chorus, punching the air with delight!
Kyle Falconer is the lead vocalist, but also plays Rhythm guitar and a few other bits and pieces. A truly precious gem to the band is their lead guitarist Pete Reilly. He also provides backing vocals and is a fab showman. He performed superb mandolin for some of their set and I was very impressed at his contribution throughout the entire show. Other members of The View are the young and extremely talented bassist, who also features in quite a few songs. He is none other than Kieran Webster. Next is the keyboard guy, Damien Rennie. He sings backing vocals and also plays Omnicord. Last but certainly not least is the sexy drummer, Steven Morrisson. I love it when Steve strips to the waist, showing off those very masculine pecs and tattoos!

Bread and Circuses is their third album. We were at the Which Bitch? gig back in ’09 and hoped this one would be as good. Their set seemed shorter, but included songs from all three of their albums and also their newest single, I need that record.

They did Skag Trendy, Waisted li’l DJs, Superstar Tradesman, Typical Time, Face for the Radio, Same Jeans,Wasteland from their first album. I don’t know the words of all these songs, but I know the choruses and sang them out at the top of my voice.

Underneath the Lights was brilliant and I knew the chorus of this one. It didn’t take me long to pick up the songs from the latest album. It’s even better than the last one. I love the jibe about the Irish in the lyrics; Drink like the Irish, one second you’re high as a Kite. Next you’re on the floor, you know the Scots, there’s always a fight. Kyle makes sure to be fair and admit the Scots can match us in their own way!

Guitars rev up for this one, with tonnes of distortion in the adrenaline charged chords. I love the chorus and the lovely change from dramatic chords for the verse, to the sweeter majors for this. Then there’s an alternating middle eight, where everyone shouts out You’re out of line, go home. Pete does a show stopping lead solo and then there’s a pullback of instruments for the second last chorus, with a gorgeous riff from the bass and a bit of piano filtering through.

The View somehow manage to make everything they compose even better than what went before. And they have done this for the new album for certain!
They performed the juiciest numbers from each of their albums. Among them were Tragic Magic, Girl, Sunday, The Best Lasts forever, Blondie. Also there were a few from Which Bitch?.These indluded Double Yellow lines, Glass Smash,5 Rebbeccas, Shock Horror, Realisation and my favourite from this album, Temptation Dice.

The crowd went berserk and anybody within 20 feet of the stage area got a beer shampoo. I got a few splashes in my hair as I was standing just beneath the balcony. The bouncers did their best to control the situation, but it was all good natured and the general mood was upbeat and cheerful.

As me and my husband walked towards the exit, our feet were sticking to the beer washed floorboards, our ears were ringing and we were pumping sweat from leaping about with the thumping punky beat of the majority of the songs. But we had a fab night. I was a bit disappointed that the punters didn’t shout for an encore. I stood for a good 15 minutes after the band had left the stage, hoping that maybe they would oblige with one more song.
I loved every minute of the concert and it only served to make me a worse View addict than ever. They get better and better.
The View, The View, The View are on Fire!
Angela Macari O’Looney

No comments:

Post a Comment