Thursday, March 31, 2011

Songwriters festival in Belfast 2011(review also on irishunsigned.com)

Brian Kennedy, John Reid, Gareth Dunlop and Stephen Maguire,

7th Belfast National Songwriters festival,


The Crescent Arts Centre, Belfast,

23/ 02/11

An invitation was extended to me for this event and at first I thought; ‘Nashville in Northern Ireland’ and very Country music orientated. I wasn’t too sure if I’d like it.

But after I looked at the names involved, I realised that these singer/songwriters wrote most of my favourite songs. I also found the idea of a visit to this great Cultural Jewel in Ireland’s treasury quite irresistible!

I decided to go, taking my friend with me and I’m so glad I did. I had an unforgettable experience and only wished I could have stayed for the entire festival. I will be going back next year for certain!

On the site of an old girls College, The Crescent Arts Centre is right in the heart of this great City, where my own mother once gigged as a singer and where my Grandfather and Great grandparents lived. The Arts Centre is an attractive building and we got a warm welcome inside and were shown into the airy auditorium.

A generous turnout arrived and once people were seated, Joe Duffy introduced the evening’s entertainment. This began with a singer/songwriter who moved to Canada from Belfast.

Stephen Maguire

Nominated in the 2011 Saskatchewan Awards, this young man has played support to acts such as Nanci Griffith and also Grammy award winning BJ Thomas. Stephen performed his first solo concert in Belfast’s Ulster Hall, with Northern Irish band Cahuna in 1998. He also played support to Westlife during their Unbreakable tour along with Unity.
His style is laid back and has a folk/Soul/Pop feel to it and his influences would include Van Morrison, with whom his father Patrick played as a musician. Stephen performed with an acoustic guitar and a little bit of programming. His first number was called Irish Soul.

This choppy song involved superb guitar and his vocals were powerful and uplifting.

He continued with a slower number; I feel empty inside.
This was a sweet love song, with romantic lyrics and a delicious melody line.
Stephen’s vocals are unique and really flexible, as he performs. I enjoyed how he could alter his style to suit the dynamics of each song.

After thanking The Arts Centre for the invite, Stephen did a number based around the City where he grew up. It was called The Streets of Belfast.
The chorus was wonderful, with excellent lyrics and I loved the cheerful beat.

Do you see me

This was a laid back song and Stephen’s delivery was unbelievably soothing.

He used plucky guitar in True, which is a gorgeous number. It’s a love song with a really catchy melody line.

My favourite song from his set Leaving was inspired by the feelings he experienced when he boarded the plane that took him to Canada, where he now lives. He talks about the pull on his heartstrings as his plane left the ground after the goodbyes with his family. I love how he paints the sad picture with his wonderful lyrics and his pouring out of emotion here.

Brian Kennedy/ Gareth Dunlop/John Reid

After a brief interval, Joe Duffy the MC introduced the next portion of this really special night. As he introduced each, they arrived onstage.

The lads were performing a combined set of their own songs in an In-the-round set, where each would give a little insight into what inspired their chosen piece.

John Reid

John began with a song that was made famous by Irish band Westlife, but was written by himself. He told how he never imagined this number would take flight and reach the fame it achieved.

Unbreakable

I loved this simple acoustic version and John performed the wonderful key change, which lifted it right up. This finished on a beautiful chord played by his fabulous accompanist John Themis on guitar.

Originally from Glasgow, John wrote many well known hits for superstars such as Tina Turner, Rod Stewart, Lionel Richie, Il Divo. He also wrote A moment like this, which was X-Factor winner Leona Lewis’s popular debut single.

Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy recently celebrated twenty years in the music business and released an album The very best of Brian Kennedy in honour of this. His soulful vocals and memorable melody lines are well known world wide. He received a Lifetime achievement award in the 2010 Meteor awards.

Captured was Brian’s first song. This has a lovely exotic but laid back rhythm and I liked how he uses a minimum of extras for sound, yet delivers with unbelievable power. I enjoy the tone of his guitar and his playing style too. He builds up to a dynamic chorus, with effective stops here and there and subtle key changes that are a particularly pleasant feature in most of his music.

Gareth Dunlop

Gareth Dunlop’s first number was called Just don’t feel like home to me. I enjoyed his plucked style guitar and how he bends notes so beautifully. His chord combinations were superb throughout this lovely velvety blues song. I like his vocal style which has a hint of grittiness, but can adapt to whatever he’s singing.

Gareth, born in Belfast, is a professional songwriter and spends much of his time in America, where he records and performs. He has performed alongside names such as Nanci Griffith, Snow Patrol, Imelda May, Jools Holland and Jeff Beck.

John was next and he introduced his song by explaining how he found inspiration from certain singers, which gave him the drive it took to create his wonderful compositions.
He mentioned Glenn Campbell and Michael Jackson, whom he described as stars that have influenced music greatly.
He performed You are not alone and this simple, stripped back rendition of an incredibly sweet number was awe inspiring. His wonderful accompanist added extra magic on guitar.

Brian told the story of how he was inspired by a store he used to frequent called Arleen’s Grocery. He then performed Christopher Street, a song that he wrote about New York. From his new album, this has wonderful descriptions.
He played delicious bending notes on guitar, with catchy riffs adding to the mood and a delectable choppy tempo.
I find the lyrics very touching and you can imagine the lonely feeling of being in the big Apple in wintertime alone. I’ve been here a week, but it feels like more and God knows how long I’ll last.
Then he describes the madness, but also how things go quiet at night time;Now Christopher Street has quietened down. Seems even New York needs to sleep sometimes. One of these nights when I put out the lights, I’ll find you waitin’ to love me.

Gareth did a lovely number called One tree hill. This involves plucked guitar notes and beautiful lyrics.

It was John’s turn again and he performed Always in my heart, where his guitarist played exotic sliding chords. John’s vocals were impressive as he went right up the register to higher notes and back down again. Wow!

Brian borrowed Gareth’s guitar now and performed a song Silver hearts on chains, that he composed as he was going through a market area on tour. He saw silver hearts on chains and this inspired the song. With a delightful trickling intro, this number developed and I particularly felt touched by the lyrics; Like a teardrop made of silver.

Gareth did Help me keep the walls from falling down, which is a fast rolling number. I enjoyed the sense of movement here. He has a way of holding your attention when he sings and you feel that you’re the only person in the room with him!

Wichita Lineman, made famous by Glenn Campbell was John Reid’s next choice. His performance of this Jimmy Webb number was flawless and I noticed Brian adding a touch of backing vocals that set it off to great advantage. I absolutely love that wonderful high note in the chorus, the guitar break and cleverly placed dramatic notes throughout this piece. You could hear a pin drop in the Crescent Arts Centre at this amazing moment!

Next was Hollow, from his album The Great War of Words which Brian chose to do. He explains Joni Mitchell’s unique guitar tuning technique, which has influenced a lot of his music. So this homage was very special and Brian’s performance was heartfelt. With lovely chord combinations and the rhythmic beat, this was superb from beginning to end.

Gareth performed a romantic love song with wistful lyrics. His vocals were sweet here and his guitar technique appealing in this number he referred to as The Cat Song. I like the line You’re my favourite song to sing.

John Reid told an anecdote about his next choice and I felt very intrigued by his way of drawing you into the story of each of his songs, which are almost like huge turning points in his life. I felt I was in the presence of greatness, as I looked up at these three legendary artists.

A moment like this

Once again I wanted to weep on hearing the heady chords and trickling notation that John’s Guitarist played. This gentleman never said a word all night, but his fingers across the frets of his instrument said it all for me!
John lovingly poured out this ballad and as far as I’m concerned, his performance of his own song is way superior to any other singer. What a vocal range!

Brian continued with a song called So what if it rains, which he wrote with Callum McCall. This was very passionately performed and I enjoyed how he created rain drop style notation on his acoustic. My favourite line here was Every night I make a promise to myself and then break it. There’s always very poignant lyrics in his stuff and each melody line is addictive. I could listen to his voice forever with its effortless glides up to the top notes and soothing quality.

Firefly

This is a song from Gareth’s album and his guitar is really amazing here. It builds up, with big chords gradually developing. It has an interesting three four tempo and delicious riffs throughout.

Stephen Maguire came back onstage to join the group for the finale. The lads chose a Van Morrison number; Crazy Love
A divine slice of lead was injected into this by John Reid’s guitarist John Themis and with the lads sharing verses, it was a real treat. The audience joined in for the last chorus and an elaborate wind down with jazzy notation left each person with a memory of one very special night among genuinely great musicians!

No comments:

Post a Comment